Monday, 12 June 2017

Silicon Tonebender MKII

I saw a request for a Silicon Tonebender MKII based on a perfboard layout over on StompBoXed's page, which is the modified Tonebender MK II Professional. So after making a layout for it I started searching for other Silicon Tonebenders.The other 2 schematics can be found over at DIYSB.

Silicon Tonebender MKII

Silicon Tonebender MKII Professional

 

Silicon Tonebender MKII Professional Mod

9 comments:

  1. Been wanting to try a silicon tonebender for a while. Gonna try the middle one today, hopefully I'll be able to verify it for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the bottom layout is verified. i used bc107b's and a bc109b with hfe's from 200-230. i also used a 10k dual gang pot for the fuzz control and the switch. 10k is definitely too much but oh well. i may put higher gain transistors in but i was an idiot and didn't use sockets so maybe not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dont think you need higher gain transistors for Q1 & Q2, just Q3. Why did you use a dual gang for the Fuzz pot and switch out of curiously?

      Delete
    2. Laziness. I had an enclosure drilled for 3 controls and didn't want to clean shavings off my floor. I guess dual ganged is the wrong term. A dual concentric is what i meant. I had it from a failed Boss Blues Driver build. Dialing in that cap is actually pretty nice. And after playing with it for awhile i think the gains are pretty okay I just wanted to see what i was missing with the 5088 and the 3904's.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I built the middle layout this evening. It's quite quiet and gated, but then I haven't had the chance to adjust the bias trimpot yet. I'll confirm tomorrow after I've done that (can't do it now or else my neighbours will complain), but since I'm getting sound, I'd say that layout 2 is verified as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool man. I marked it verified. Definitely sounds like it needs to be biased.

      Delete
    2. Spoke to soon. Decided to try it anyways, couldn't get the bias set anywhere that a usable sound could be found. Granted, I did use a 100k trimmer in place of a 50k as that was what I had on hand, but I would've assumed that I'd have still found a spot where it stopped sputtering if this was working properly. I'll have a go at troubleshooting tomorrow, or else just try the top layout and add a tone control to it since my enclosure is already drilled out for one.

      Delete
  5. There's another SI Tonebender mkII here which looks similar to the first layout: http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.se/2013/07/npn-si-tonebender-mkii.html.

    It's next on my build list so it came to mind. It uses low gain si transistors, which might be interesting to try also. It's also suggested there that the Attack pot works better as a 2k lin.

    ReplyDelete